We are excited about meeting you and your child at their first dental visit with us. Our goal at Factoria Pediatric Dentistry is to make this visit a pleasant and informative experience. Consistent with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the American Dental Association (ADA), and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD), we recommend establishing a “Dental Home” for your child by one year of age. Children who have a Dental Home are more likely to receive appropriate routine preventative oral health care and enjoy a future of confident healthy smiles.
The following information will help prepare you and your child for their first dental visit.
Goals for the First Dental Visit:
- Clinical Exam – if you have an infant or small toddler we may do a “lap to lap” examination of your child’s teeth
- Dental Radiographs as applicable
- Professional dental cleaning
- Fluoride treatment such as a varnish may be applied to your child’s teeth
- Discussion of home care instructions
- Discussion of dietary trends and oral habits
- Anticipatory guidance until your child’s next dental check up
We strive to provide your child with a positive dental experience. It is natural for some children to cry or protest during parts of the appointment. Because each child is unique what we are able to accomplish during a visit often depends on the child’s comfort level. We know this can change from day to day!